A couple weeks ago I took Nicholas, Celia and Aaron to Petco for a little field trip. I was actually looking for some cat food on sale that I had coupons for. We walked around and looked at the pets. While we were there I asked the fish lady what fish would be super easy to care for and she recommended the magnificent Beta breed. Basically needs water and food. Thats my kind of pet.
So I took N&C over to the Beta fish and we looked for one. Nicholas grabbed one of the bowls off the shelf and just as I said "only mommy will pick up the fish" it slipped out of his hands and the bowl shattered (hard plastic of some sort) and the poor beta was in an inch of water. The fish lady quick got him into some water. Whew! So I moved the cart back so N&C couldn't reach.
So we picked a blue fish, some water conditioner and some beta food (he lives in a vase). Cost $8.99 total
I've been reading a great christian parenting book, called 'Making Children without losing yours', and it mentions that a fish is a great pet for kids because it teaches responsibility and in the unlikely event, about death.
Nicholas and Celia really like the movie 'Finding Nemo' and one of the characters is a blue fish named Dory. So, our blue beta is named Dory. For the first few days they kept forgetting we had a fish, but now they ask to feed him most every day. And we clean his water every week.
I took this video because Nicholas and Celia always say 'mommy be careful' when i take Dory down from the shelf.




Cute beta! Loved the blowing of the bubbles at the end.
ReplyDelete