We grow so fast. . .

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

1.26.2009

Allergy to amoxicillin...

Celia went to the Pediatrician today since she was feeling pretty crummy this morning. Turns out she had an ear infection in her right ear and a slight infection in her right eye (just red, no drainage). She was so tired, no appetite and very sad most of the day. The Dr gave us a prescription for Amoxicillin. So at 2:15 she had her first dose (supposed to be 12 hours or so between doses). At about 4:00 after a late nap we noticed she had a couple red blotches on her neck. It kind of looked like she had rubbed it against something that irritated her skin.
I took Nicholas to swim class alone and Celia stayed at Grandma and Papa's house. Grandma called me after swim class (I was picking up McDonald's for us all for dinner) and said Celia might be having a reaction to the amoxicillin. Sure enough her blotches on her neck had spread around her neck and up and around her right ear and onto her face. She had a red mark on her tummy and some prickly rash on her torso - more her back than front. She was also itching them a bit. The pharmacist said to stop treatment. So I called the after-hours clinic number and they said to give her benedryl and keep an eye on her. They also said they want to see her to diagnose her as an amoxicillin allergy. The only thing is I babysit tomorrow and can't get her in until late afternoon and by then the benedryl may have taken care of the rash. So, I'll call her Dr in the morning and see if we can get anywhere over the phone. Sometimes the after-hours and on-call people are more sticklers to protocol than her actual physician. However even if he agrees over the phone that she shouldn't take amoxicillin then I can't get a new prescription for her until late afternoon. Jason may have to see if he can pick something up for her if we get that far. Poor girl. At least she seemed like aside from the rash she was feeling a touch better. Hopefully we can get somewhere tomorrow so she can feel better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sure hope they figure something out for Celia real soon so she can get rid of the infection. By the way, love the oreo 'snow' story! That's great. And laughed out loud at the tongue owie. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! Poor Celia-- I hope the doctor can figure out a good solution to help her feel better soon. I'm actually allergic to Pencillin and we found out the same way-- I broke out in hives as a baby. Hopefully the Benadryl will give some relief in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete