Wednesday I was driving home from Walmart with Nicholas and Celia. We hit every stoplight on the way home so I was showing them that red means "stop car stop" and green means "go car go". So when it would turn green I would yell "GO!" Nicholas thought this was pretty cool (Celia was trying to keep her eyes open from exhaustion after our busy morning - also another example of what a boy thinks is cool and what a girl thinks is not so cool).
So this morning I took them to the pediatrician for their 2nd flu shot. They walked in with me holding hands and then we sat on a seat together and read some books I had brought. Then Nurse Mary had us come back down the long toddler hallway of fear. Nicholas started walking slower and slower and looking at me with puppy dog eyes. Celia walked on the heels of Nurse mary right into the exam room. Nicholas tried to walk past the exam room, but he then turned and buried his head in my legs with his lower lip pouted out and crocodile tears in his eyes (he remembers what this place gives little kids..... shots).
So once we got in the room Celia and Nicholas start crying and I am sitting in the chair with my two little toddlers with their heads buried in my lap crying. Its about enough to make you want to just leave. So the nurse said we could try just having me hold them on my lap instead of laying them down on the exam table (which makes them cry even harder). So we did Celia first - she's tough and cried a little, but once she realized it was done, she stopped. Then I held Nicholas and he didn't cry for the shot, but cried pretty hard afterwards. They both watched the needle go in too.
So after giving them each a powder sucker I had brought with me and them picking out stickers from the nurse, they were happy again.
So as we were in the van and waiting at the stoplight to leave the clinic area I was looking down and suddenly Nicholas yells "GO!!!!" (in a happy toddler voice). I look up and sure enough the light is green.
So, I do indeed have a backseat driver who turns two next week. :)
1.08.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




How funny, that is too cute! Soon he will be telling you to speed up or watch where you're going - lol. I had to do the flu shot by myself too with two crying kids. That is hard, especially when they know ahead of time that they are at that place where the shots are! We only got one shot this year though, I wonder why? I'll have to ask about that when we go back for their 2 year well check.
ReplyDeleteSorry the shots were hard but at least they calmed down quick and great job on getting them to walk in with you...we really need to get some practice with that. That's so cute that N was helping you drive. I love it! :)
ReplyDeletethat is such a cute story Jill! I love it! We haven't worked on that yet, but maybe I'll add that to our list!!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like all in all, they did really well walking in the doctors office!!
that is such a cute story Jill! I love it! We haven't worked on that yet, but maybe I'll add that to our list!!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like all in all, they did really well walking in the doctors office!!
That is so cute that N yelled GO! What a smart little man! :) I know it is hard to take the kids by yourself, I took the boys for their 1yr check up and shots by myself, but they aren't really old enough to know what is coming yet. But mine got over their shots quickly, too.
ReplyDeleteOh, also I love your cute belly shots! Glad all is going well :)
~Lindsay
Awww...wish Grandma could have been there to hold one...but Mom was ready with the sucker!! Sounds like they are learning tons!
ReplyDeleteAwww. Sorry they had to get shots, but they were quite brave about it. Wish they gave out suckers and stickers at work when we all line up for our flu shots :-). I love the fact that Nicholas has learned "GO" already.
ReplyDeleteAwww... I hate the shots, too-- enough to break your heart. That is so funny about the stoplights! Just wait-- before long, they'll be begging you to change the radio station since your music isn't cool enough. ;)
ReplyDelete