We grow so fast. . .

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

3.09.2008

Our start with Baby Signs

Jason and I have started working on Baby Signs with Nicholas and Celia. I used to think that teaching your baby to sign would delay verbal development, but thanks to my blogger friends, I have learned that this is not the case. Research shows that children who signed as babies scored higher on IQ tests, have larger vocabularies and speak and communicate at a higher level than those children who did not sign as babies. I have started reading the book 'Baby Signs' and copied some of the starter signs and taped them on the fridge so that Jason, Grandma, myself and other people can refer and learn them to help Nicholas and Celia. Baby Signs are simple signs - not as tricky as American Sign Language since some of those signs can be developmentally difficult for babies. We have started using a lot of signs, but they are surprising us by picking up on these signs so quickly. Nicholas can sign frog (tongue in and out) and dog (pant). Celia can sign frog, dog, baby (cradle arms and rock) and milk (open/close fist like milking a cow). They understand more of the signs than they can do, but I think for really working on this for less than a week they are doing amazingly well. This will help ease frustration when they want to communicate and are unable to pronounce the word. It is also neat to be able to interact with them in this way and see how intelligent babies truely are. Its very exciting. I am considering becoming a certified Baby Signs instructor so that I can teach other parents about these signs.
Here is a video of them doing a couple signs tonight. I pulled them up to the table after dinner and was giving them one chocolate chip at a time to teach them to sign 'more' (point finger into palm of other hand).

7 comments:

  1. LOOK AT THEM!!!! I am so proud!!! They are just too cute doing the frog!!!! I feel like a proud aunt or something!!!! I can't wait to see more signs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, that is sooo cute! i love nicholas doing the sign for frog and ceila kissing her baby!!
    and what an awesome idea to put basic signs on the fridge, i am going to have to steal that idea!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, look how good Nicholas does the frog sign! That is too cute :). We have been working on a few signs, but I have to say I feel like I'm confusing them more then helping because the milk sign and waving are so similar. And the eat sign makes them want to flick their lips with their fingers and make that funny noise - LOL. I think I'll have to just stick to the words - ha ha. Good job on being so diligent with it. You can tell it's working!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smart kids with a smart Mom. Congrats! I can tell they are picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! I don't know if I could teach mine to sign. Maybe my babes are too young yet. Yeah, I'll go with that:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Cute... Nicholas doing the frog is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I got up on my soapbox about signing with babies b/c look how much they're doing! This is great! Love the frog sign, too, and want to know what book that is b/c the photos in it are great. C with the baby is adorable-- she'll be a good mommy someday. :)

    ReplyDelete