We grow so fast. . .

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

4.24.2008

Learning to Listen......sometimes

I was jusssssttttt saying this evening to Jason how the twins seem to be actually starting to catch on to me when I say 'no' or something else to them in regards to their behavior. Both Jason and I have been trying to be very consistant with teaching them to stop throwing their cups and food from their highchairs since they are certainly getting old enough to learn this. Celia also loves to stick her hands in the garbage and we have been working on teaching her to listen to us on that one too. Also, they have their chairs in the livingroom that we are teaching them to sit on, not stand.
Well, this morning Celia and Nicholas both were trying to play with the trash and recycles. I said "no Celia. no Nicholas" and they both stopped and walked away. This afternoon Nicholas climbed up onto his little chair and stood. I said "oh Nicholas, sit" and he sat down! Wow, could it really be happening? Are they getting it? Of course everytime they listened today I cheered and carried on!
So, at dinner I am telling Jason how nice they did today with listening and then our sweet children decided to test us to see if by some chance thursday evenings are "throw your food on the floor night and mom and dad will think it is funny". Celia only tried once and stopped. Nicholas continued to throw his watermelon, cup, and turkey off the highchair. He ended up on baby time out, which we turned his highchair around so he wasn't sitting with us at the table. He kept trying to turn in his seat to see us (it was actually hard to keep a straight face).
So, at least I see a glimmer of hope!

Tonight as they were drinking their bedtime bottle they were both breathing through their noses! Whohoo! I think the cold is passing! If not for Celia being miserable about her teeth I think they would both sleep well tonight. Poor girl.
Well, here are some pics I took practicing with my manual settings. I bought a book called Understanding Exposure and it is great!

4 comments:

  1. Thats so awesome that they are responding to what you are teaching them, your doing a great thing with the Positive reinforcement as well! I'm so happy for you guys! lol there is light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures Jill, especially the one of Celia - that just turned out great. I think the colors just came out great and her eyes are amazing. That's a total keeper (not that the other one's aren't). And I hear you on the food throwing, I was just thinking today "when is that going to stop?". They still think that no is a funny word. Very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pic of Celia!!! That one is awesome!!! All of them are though!
    I think the positive reinforcement is great!!! We are getting some things and others are just still funny! It won't be long before they are 'getting' lots more!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl i found myself laughing so hard about you guys turning nicholas around at the dinner table. That is so funny:o)

    ReplyDelete